Monday, March 9, 2009

Rallying the Troops

A little bird (a type of Thrush, to be specific) told me recently that my supreme owl loving status has been challenged. I just wanted to let any competitive librarians out there know that I accept the challenge and that I'm bringing back-up. However, it may not come to much of a duel, I may win this on one point alone. My son ADORES owls. Can the contender claim the same?P.S. Don't make me pull out the Christmas ornaments.

I have to admit, my mom may have us both beat, she did write an entire play about the "Obstreperous Wizards of Lore" or O.W.L.s, and my true avian passion lies with small brown birds - wrens, finches, bushtits being my favorites - but thanks for giving me an excuse to take these pictures, and thanks for a lovely dinner!

1 comment:

  1. It is in vain, Owl, to extenuate the matter. Owls may cry, "Peace! Peace!" -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears [what shall be heard for miles with our Owl ears] the clash of resounding arms! Our Owl brethren are already in the field [the field actually being the tree line of the field, perched on our Owl perches]! Why stand we here idle [even though that is as we Owls do]? What is it that Owls wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet [as plump mice], as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery [chains being a metaphor of the stitching on our enslaved felt Owl brothers and slavery being our poor Owl sisters carved from a tree stump]? Forbid it, Almighty Owl! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Owlty, or give me death!

    ReplyDelete