Friday, June 18, 2010

For the Baby

So here's how my sketch translated into a stenciled baby garment. The dandelion seed is in embroidery thread, and I kind of hate it, but I'm leaving it for now. I can't decide if it needs more embroidery to make it cohesive, or if I just need to pull it out and make the whole thing more graphic. Unfortunately, this was the only blank baby thing I had on hand, so I couldn't experiment too much.
This was done with a freezer paper stencil, one of my favorite techniques. There are a few good tutorials for this kind of stencil on the interwebs, and if Shirley isn't teasing us too much, perhaps there's about to be a new great one. Anyway, I'm almost happy with it, and am certainly thrilled to say that I've finally made something especially for my little one. Hear that, little one? Handmade goods await you!

I'm going to play some more tonight, after my bigger little one is asleep, and see if my stencil cutting skills are up to the challenge of that dandelion seed. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I think, in my last comment, I forgot to mention how OBSESSED I am with the idea of a FOX that is SMALL enough to be carried away by a dandelion!?!? Best thing ever. Will you please turn this into a children's story of some kind...like Thumbelina only with a Fox?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How apropos. That reminds me...that duvet cover I was planning on making...it's becoming something else... ;)

    ReplyDelete