Friday, May 13, 2011

KCWC Baby Bottoms

I've been having a hell of a time making this one hour a day business turn out any results. I have a stack of washed, ironed and cut pieces ready to go, but it's been a struggle to find 2 minutes put together to sit down at the sewing machine. But I really pushed myself today and have 2 things to show for it - both experimental - and now I don't feel like quite such a KCWC flunky.I've seen these high waisted baby leggings around, so why not try a pair myself? Well, I don't know if it's the stripes, the colors, or the little strong man muscles on the Jonesers, but he totally looks like a depression era circus performer, right? Which I'm really ok with.Lining up the stripes was pretty fussy, but I'm glad I took the time. I traced an existing pair of leggings to make up the pattern. The fabric is a lightweight cotton sweater knit, with orange ribbed knit trim.My second experiment was using ribbed knit as edging on a woven cotton. I used this DARLING whale print cotton. Made up a pattern, loosely based on an existing pair of pants, then used yellow ribbed knit round the legs and to form a waist band. I wish I had encased elastic inside the waistband - sheer laziness on my part- as it would have given it added stability, but the ribbing is pretty effective. I'm so happy with these shorts. This is why we do it right? The act of sewing itself is so thrilling to me, but so is having created something one of a kind. No retailer carries the kind of whimsy I've seen in the KCWC flickr group. It's well worth checking out, even if you're not into sewing.

7 comments:

  1. Claire, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Claire, I just discovered your blog --- it's amazing! What talent you have!!
    I was wondering if you could tell me where you get your fabric (namely for baby's leggings and your awesome knit cardigans) and what pattern did you use for your drape cardigans?
    Thank you and I look forward to regularly check in and see your creations.
    My best,
    Sla'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thank you so much. It means the world to me!

    I'm always on the hunt for great knit fabrics and lately I've bought most of my fabrics at Pacific Fabrics in Seattle.

    The cardigan is my own (highly unprofessional) pattern, partially traced from an old favorite tee shirt and mostly trial and error. It's very simple! I'll work on a tutorial for you, if you like.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the Pacific Fabrics website. Hope this helps!

    http://www.pacificfabrics.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Claire, wow!, a tutorial, well, that would be awesome, if you've got the time. And thanks for the info, I will definitely head the Pacific Fabrics way soon.
    I am from Seattle, but have found that the Fabric Depot in Portland is awesome for fabrics (if you are ever in Portland), no taxes and once a month they have 35% off of everything in store (all fabrics, patterns, tools... everything).
    These recent photos of your garden are enchanting. How lovely! Is there anyting you can't do?
    My best to you and thanks for the reply.
    Sla'

    ReplyDelete