Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ancestry

Hi friends! You know I'm one for losing myself in a hobby. There's little I cherish more than being so involved in something (a book, a project, a subject, a song) that I feel compelled by it. Lately, even when I've intended to sit down and blog, I just get pulled into my latest frenzy - online genealogical research.

So far I haven't signed up for ancestry.com or the like, nor have I visited any archives (you know, in all my free time) to see any evidence first hand, but the internet IS AMAZING. Apparently I have some very adept and dogged researchers for cousins, distant though they may be, who have constructed long family trees and posted them online.

The details are not yet verified to my satisfaction. But what a fun ride I've been on. I HIGHLY recommend it. My whole life I've identified with my relatives who immigrated directly to the Seattle area post 1900, and here I may have discovered ancestors living in Massachusetts in the 1690s!!! They had epic colonial names like Mercy, Zedekiah and Remembrance, and get this... they were weavers!

Like I said, I'm not 100% positive that these records properly link all the way to me, but the threads are there. It's fascinating, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment